COVID Restrictions Update - October 25
October 25 Update
1. Trico Centre is no longer accepting medical exemptions "because of the complexity required in validating various exemptions".
2. Players with vaccination shots beginning this week must have 2 shots with the second shot received at least 14 days prior. For example, this means if you had your 2nd shot on October 11, you are ok to play on the 25th. If it was on October 18, you have to wait until November 1. The latest update on what is acceptable for Proof of Vaccination is as follows:
- A picture or paper record of a valid Alberta Health Services, MyHealth Records, pharmacy, First Nations, or physician immunization record prominently displaying the name, type of vaccine and date of administration, or
- Canadian armed forces immunization record, displaying the name, type of vaccine and date of administration, or
- An immunization record from another Canadian Province or Territory, displaying the name, type of vaccine and date of administration, or
- Valid Government of Alberta Vaccination QR code (when available)
3. The province has updated information on what is an acceptable test as follows:
- A clear indication of the laboratory or the health care professional that completed the test (e.g., DynaLIFE), the type of test, time of sample collection, and clear indication of a negative result.
- A picture or any other written documentation other than noted above of a rapid test result taken off site is not sufficient evidence for entry.
- Individuals must not bring completed rapid tests or self-tests to operators, as they can pose a communicable disease risk during transportation.
Sept 24 update
Added an update from Trico received today in bold.
Sept 23/2021 Update
The new City Bylaw has introduced more confusion / complexity so our gyms are updating their protocols based on it.
Changes for YMCA in the chart below are in bold
Evening of Sept 17/2021
COVID Proof Summary by Gym
Common to all locations
- Mask to be always worn except while on the court and maintain social distance
- Arrive fully dressed to spend minimal time in change rooms
- Leave the facility as soon as possible after the game
- Plan to arrive earlier than normal to get through the Proof process - some locations will take more time than others. You may need to arrive at least 15 minutes earlier than normal.
- Scorekeepers will be recording your vaccination status on the scoresheet - we are building a summary of player status. Once each team has had all player proof reviewed, that team will only be checked for proof from players with 1 shot or those who are using tests before each game. It will take some time for this to be complete, so appreciate your patience and flexibility until .
- Note that player information will be kept confidential and accessible to CSMBA only for purposes of confirming eligibility to play and support if we are audited by Alberta Health Services as part of the Restricted Exemption Program
- Be patient with facility staff - this is a new process for them, there will be process bugs, misunderstandings, and delays. We risk losing a gym if we mistreat their staff.
- Lastly, no fans permitted
Facility to check?
Scorekeeper to check?
Repsol Sport Centre (RSC)
North gate is closed, access South door only
RSC staff are checking everyone coming into the facility - delays are likely especially the first few weeks
Do not store your gear in the lockers - bring your gear to your bench (in the event of an emergency, the locker room is closed immediately - no access)
Calgary Central Sportsplex
No longer accepting medical exemptions
Vacate building within 15 minutes after game
Still need to complete their health screening questions at the link below (or QR code on site) and show green screen
There is now only one access to the gym. YMCA staff will be checking everyone for their COVID-19 Immunization Record issued by Alberta Health
YMCA is not accepting negative COVID tests. Also they are developing a medical exemption process - will not accept this exemption until implemented.
Evening of Sept 16/2021
Once again, we appreciate your patience and flexibility as we work through the changes announced yesterday.
The following is based on information that was available today - we will revise if we get additional updates
Based on what we learned today, CSMBA will proceed with the season as scheduled - there are no cancelled games at this time.
The key change we have identified today is that we can continue under the Restriction Exemption Program. Under this program, CSMBA is required to operate under the following conditions:
- follow indoor masking requirements (which includes wearing masks on the bench)
- confirm that players meet one of the following:
- proof of vaccination - AHS Card or Pharmacy documentation of full vaccination
- one dose can be accepted up to October 25th if received 2 weeks before the game.
- proof of a privately-paid negative PCR or rapid test within 72 hours of service (tests from AHS or Alberta Precision Laboratories not allowed)
- documentation of a medical exemption
Note that no spectators will be permitted at our games as long as these restrictions are in place
Lastly, it is critical to follow these requirements in order to maintain a beneficial relationship with our gyms.
If we have to, discipline including substantial fines and suspensions will be levied to individuals and/or teams where information provided is not genuine or our scorekeepers / facility staff are verbally abused.
We wish you the best as we proceed through another wave of this pandemic.
We continue to seek out more information and have learned the following so far (all still to be confirmed)
- We now expect we can have games next week under the Restricted Exemption Program
- Players will need to provide proof of vaccination or results of a recent COVID test or have a medical exemption before each game
- CSMBA will be asking for this proof at some and maybe all gyms
- We have not heard from all gyms or Basketball Alberta yet so expect a further update once we do
Thanks for your patience and flexibility as we get this sorted out.
I’m sure you have all heard that COVID restrictions were announced today.
We need to get further details but know for sure there will be no games starting Monday Sept 20th.
The executive will review our options in the next week in consultation with Alberta Basketball.
For now be assured that if the season is cut short, there will be refunds.
We will also consider extending the season into Spring next year so we can still run a full season
More news next week!!
In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and consider getting vaccinated if you have not yet.